Without a doubt, one of the most arguable topics today, especially in America, is how we should vote. With so many political views, different parties, different beliefs, a highly diverse culture, it is a wonder we can agree on anything at all.
It can be very frustrating, especially for the young voter and for Christians. But should it really be all that hard? When choosing the topic of the bible and voting, the answer comes very clear, we just have to listen……………..(and read).
The BEST voting guide ever published!!
All too often we hear and make decisions on candidates based on what they believe on subjects at a very high level. Some topics we pay careful attention to in the media when picking “our candidate” include:
- The Military
- Gun Control
- The Economy
These topics inevitably generate heated discussions between individuals, especially disagreeing individuals, every time they come up in a conversation. But have we ever, just once, stopped to consider the bible and voting? Does the Bible provide guidance for us as voters? Of course it does! And if we will simply read what it says on some of these hottest topics, we’ll find that the Bible is THE BEST voting guide anyone could ask for.
For example, let’s look at the topic of “abortion”:
- Luke 2:6-7: The Lord Jesus Christ began his incarnation as an embryo, growing into a fetus, infant, child, teenager, and adult: “While they were there, the time came for the baby to born, and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son”.
- Luke 1:41 and 44: “When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit…[saying] ‘As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy”.
- Jeremiah 1:5: “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations”.
- Psalm 100:3: “Know that the LORD Himself is God; it is He who has made us, and not we ourselves; we are His people and the sheep of His pasture”.
These are just a few. How about the topic of The Military:
Let’s look at perhaps one of the best known old testament characters, Abraham. Abraham was a man chosen specifically by God himself to be the father of the nation of Israel, his chosen people. Abraham was also one the earliest military leaders ever known.
- Genesis 14:14-15: When Abram heard that his relative had been taken captive, he called out the 318 trained men born in his household and went in pursuit as far as Dan. 15 During the night Abram divided his men to attack them and he routed them, pursuing them as far as Hobah, north of Damascus.
Other well-known people of the Bible such as Moses, Joshua and David were famous for their leadership in battles throughout the Bible. Even God himself, in 2 Kings 6:17, ordered his people to war.
We could go through and cover topic after topic in exquisite detail, however the point here is to turn to the Bible for not only your voting choices, but for ALL tough choices.
You Cannot Pick and Choose!!!!
You cannot pick and choose which parts of the Bible you believe and will follow and which parts you don’t agree with. You either believe it or you don’t. There’s really no gray area.
All too often we sit and listen to people, politicians, etc., who try to sway us to “their side” based on their sales pitch that “their side” is correct and the “other sides” is wrong.
The Bible is very VERY clear on most if not ALL of the heated topics causing so much controversy in today’s society. Very clear in fact. Let’s say you make a list of the top issues of today that are important to you and it looks something like this:
- Is the candidate a Christian?
- Where do they stand on abortion?
- Where do they stand on homosexuality and same sex marriage?
- Where do they stand on taxes?
- Where do they stand on the military?
The Bible is VERY CLEAR on each of these. All too often we hear people who, for example, disagree with abortion but support same sex marriage. Others disagree with taxes but support the military, and so on.
Instead of a list like above, make a list like this and your voting and many other choices will be much more clear:
- Which candidate is a professed Christian?
- What does the Bible say about abortion?
- What does the Bible say about homosexuality and same sex marriage?
- What does the Bible say about taxes?
- What does the Bible say about the military?
Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, Independent, or Christian?
Liberals and Conservatives. Democrats and Republicans. Socialists and Communists. Blah, blah, blah. These are all labels. When asked where I stand or what I am, my response is, “I’m a Christian”. Try that the next time you find yourself in a heated political discussion and then record the crooked looks.
Instead of arguing YOUR point as a democrat or republican, refer to the Bible and use that as your basis of discussion. All too often we follow the general party lines of our family and/or friends, when what we really should be doing is voting according to the direction of the Bible.
As discussed in a previous post, the cost of being a Christian is high and at times will require you to break away from the “pack” and make choices that WILL BE contrary to those of your family and friends. Stand up for God, stand up for the Bible.
Of course, while writing this I understand the controversy this topic will generate.
(By the way,,,,,,,,,,,,,,as a former US Marine, controversy is what I do………)
However, if a little controversy causes just one person to open the Bible and research just one of these topics, I will claim success.